Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I have a Rat terrier pup who is losing his hair in spots?

vet says it's not bacteria,food or allergy related-something with hair tract problem his hair may come out and grow back and may not any ideas on how to handle.



I have a Rat terrier pup who is losing his hair in spots?

The vet actually said, "something with hair tract problem"? That's not much of a diagnoses! Did the vet do a skin scraping? Did he look at your dog under a Wood's light? How old is your dog and how long as he/she been experiencing hair loss? Does he/she scratch excessively? How does your vet know it is not an allergy....did he do any lab work? There are several diseases that can cause hair loss....from demodectic mange.....ring worm....Cushing's Disease...



So, I'd say more information is needed, but actually a trip to a new vet may be warranted! No one on the Internet can just take an educated guess and correctly diagnose your dog.



I have a Rat terrier pup who is losing his hair in spots?

Did the vet do a skin scraping? If not you cant be sure. I have a dog who has an auto-immune problem that makes his hair fall out. He is especially sensitive to topical flea meds so we stoped using them and switched to program and it has slowed but he is pretty much bald on the underbelly and spotty everywhere else. He looks so grunge poor guy!



I have a Rat terrier pup who is losing his hair in spots?

Try going to a website...www.peteducation.com Its a great resource. Did the vet look at the possibility of mange? Groom the dog w/a soft bristle brush to stimulate oils and hair follicles. Is the skin dry or oily. I would need more info to properly give more advice.



I have a Rat terrier pup who is losing his hair in spots?

Sounds like red mange. Take him to a vet and he will do a skin scrape. Be prepared to spend big money if it is mange. Good luck!



I have a Rat terrier pup who is losing his hair in spots?

I agree with the first 2 answers, and also, my black lab loses his hair when he is stressed. We moved one time and his hair over his tummy and rump thinned and he had a lot of bald patches. Then he started chewing and licking the area and that did not help. Some dogs are a bit more high strung than others. We just made sure he was getting a good dog food and tried to help him adjust (got him a nice new bed, toys and his fav chew things) It grew back. Good luck.



I have a Rat terrier pup who is losing his hair in spots?

Rat Terriers are prone to mange. Not the serious kind.But it does take a vet to get it controlled.I have a 3 yo Rat Terrier that goes thru this at least once a year. I checked back where I got him %26amp; some of theirs has it to. The vet will check him for heart worm first as some of the meds could kill him if he has that,but they have another kind that works too. It is not unusual for this to show up in this breed.



It cost me $90 for meds %26amp; heart worm test.



I have a Rat terrier pup who is losing his hair in spots?

Its stated she was at the vet Im sure the vet did a skin scrap to rule out demodex, sarcoptic mange or ringworm. Im sure if that came back negative the vet drew blood work to check thyroid or auto immune. To me the question is they don't know why even though the tests have all been negative.



I would suggest a calm atmosphere you said its a puppy and if you haven't had it very long it could be due to stress of a new home new situation new people. Just as in people I have seen stress do many things to dogs. Adoption days are crazy. Our fosters are used to one way of life with us then some of their friends go meet new friends and people and other animals sniffing and petting them they don't react well. Some fosters simply can't go to adoptions because of the stress.



Rat terriers are high strung dogs. If you are sure your vet ruled out as many possible things it could be then I would work towards calming her atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment